Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier

Rebecca -  Daphne du Maurier, Sally Beauman

I don’t give five-stars often, so hopefully by me giving this top rating, you’ll understand just how much I loved it. Not to mention how much it’s affected me- I haven’t been able to stop thinking about it!

I’d be surprised if anyone didn’t know the basic plot of this, but just in case, I’ll remind you. Here’s the synopsis for anyone that’s interested:

The novel begins in Monte Carlo, where our heroine is swept off her feet by the dashing widower Maxim de Winter and his sudden proposal of marriage. Orphaned and working as a lady's maid, she can barely believe her luck. It is only when they arrive at his massive country estate that she realizes how large a shadow his late wife will cast over their lives--presenting her with a lingering evil that threatens to destroy their marriage from beyond the grave.

This novel was perfect and I can’t praise it highly enough. Written in the first person, the narrative is in the past tense. It’s a slow burner and it’s important to persevere. It really is worth it. You’ll find yourself, as I did, resenting the fact that you have to set it down when you reach the latter parts. The book was brimming with the most exquisite prose, be it in consideration of the characters or the numerous descriptive passages.
The characters are all expertly drawn, from our heroine to Mrs. Danvers and I felt a huge sense of foreboding for our heroine, which the slow burn of the book communicated perfectly.

This is one of the best examples of a fantastic sense of place in a book I’ve ever come across and you have to read it. It really is that good!

I did think this ended slightly abruptly, but in retrospect, I know the ending was perfect.