In A Dark Dark Wood by Ruth Ware

In a Dark, Dark Wood - Ruth Ware

Ruth Ware has just shot right up my list of go-to authors after reading this one. I loved it! I wanted to read something suspenseful, but I also wanted all the other elements that make a book great, like atmosphere, setting, characters and it was all there.

Twenty-six year old Nora receives an e-mail inviting her to the hen weekend of her childhood best friend, Clare. She hasn’t spoken to Clare since she left school at sixteen under difficult circumstances and can’t think why on earth she would have been invited. She hasn’t even been invited to the wedding. Anyway, she finds out her other school friend, Nina, was also invited, so both of them decide to go if the other one does.

When Nora arrives at the house where the hen weekend is due to take place she feels a cloying, disturbing atmosphere. And so we have the set up for a creepy atmospheric psychological thriller.I don’t want to give anything away so I won’t say anything more about the plot. What I will say is the atmosphere was pitch-perfect. The party stayed at a creepy house outside of London, housed in glass that was beautiful whilst also being insidious. While it didn’t play a key role (it wasn’t a supernatural tale), it added to the tension.

The characters were so different from one another which meant their interaction was always interesting and multi-layered and the plot was fast-paced and riveting. I was hooked and didn’t want to stop reading. I did guess part of the twist, but not all of it, so I don’t feel cheated.

I’m so glad I gave this author a try and want to read her complete back-catalogue. I’d highly recommend giving her a try yourself.

I transfigured Grave or Graveyard to Psych for this.