The Examined Life by Stephen Grosz

The Examined Life: How We Lose and Find Ourselves - Stephen Grosz

I tried out a new book club in Belfast last week (I love talking about books, as you all know) which was great and this was the first book that we were tasked with reading, or rather listening to as it’s an audiobook group. The man who runs the group isn’t too keen on fiction, so it’s going to be mostly non-fiction we read.

The book was written by a psychoanalyst based on his case notes with patients. Each chapter used a specific patient to highlight an emotional problem and his subsequent musings on the route of the problem.

I really enjoyed this short book and found it enlightening. It helped me to realise that the problems I have aren’t that rare, but instead affect a lot of us. Funny, a man from the group said the opposite to me, it freaked him out to see his problems transcribed on the page like that.

As serious as the subject matter was the author still managed to pepper a bit of humour throughout and while one or two of the stories had a depressing ending, many didn’t and finished quite positively.

If you want to know more about the inner workings of the mind and solutions you can employ then this is a good example.