Repeal The 8th

Repeal The 8th - Emmet Kiran, Aisling Bea, Tara Flynn, Lisa McInerney, Louise O'Neill, Caitlin Moran, Anne Enright, Sinéad Gleeson, Una Mullally

They’re our bodies and it’s our choice.

Repeal the 8th was a collection of short-stories, poetry, personal accounts and articles relating to the movement that mounted in response to the referendum. It was written by a collection of people from across Ireland. One specific article was written by a woman from Northern Ireland and discussed the impact of the result of the referendum here, which I was particularly interested in. Being a lover of fiction, I really liked the short-stories, especially the one by Lisa McInerney. I haven’t read any of her work before, but I will now.

What do we mean by women’s equality?...The right to chose what? Abortion? No. Accessible abortion is fundamentally not about being able to choose abortion. It is about a woman who becomes unexpectedly pregnant being empowered to retain control of her body, to be able to make choices about her life – her education, her career, how many children she can afford, how many children she wants, if any

There’s not too much to say about this collection, other than it was illuminating and eye-opening to what women have gone through for years to avail of a human right. Please read it. You won't regret it.

I’ll leave you with this final quote that I found particularly pertinent, made by Caitlin Moran:

I cannot understand anti-abortion arguments that centre on the sanctity of life. As a species, we’ve fairly comprehensively demonstrated that we don’t believe in the sanctity of life. The shrugging acceptance of war, famine, epidemic, pain and lifelong, grinding poverty show us that, whatever we tell ourselves, we’ve made only the most feeble of efforts to really treat human life as sacred.