The Silkworm by Robert Galbraith

The Silkworm - Robert Galbraith

I continued my current crime reading escapade with the second book in Robert Galbraith’s (JK Rowling’s pseudonym) P.I series, featuring Cormoran Strike. I was warned it was a little graphic and it was, but I didn’t have any significant problems with it. If you plan to pick it up bear in mind that there are a few places where it’s a little gruesome.

At the beginning a novelist has gone missing, by the name of Owen Quine. I listened to the audio book towards the end and discovered I’d been mispronouncing Owen’s surname the whole way through. I was pronouncing it to rhyme with fin, like a fish would have, but apparently it’s pronounced to rhyme with fine. Is anyone else going huh? I was. Anyway, this novelist has gone missing and his wife employs Cormoran to find him. His receptionist and would be sleuth, Robin, also features heavily.

The novel is written in third person multiple, but the majority of the time we’re inside the mind of Strike and secondly Robin.

Strike, the estranged son of a famous rock star and is no fool (he went to Oxford University) and sees connections where the police don't and manages to solve a convoluted crime. As with the first book, I did think the perpetrator came totally out of left-field, but that’s far more preferable than an obvious ending.

The pacing and characterisation were excellent, as you would expect with JK Rowling. Cormoran and Robin both grew as individuals, their personal lives illustrating their individual capabilities.

The novel as a whole was more self-assured than the first, so I can’t wait to read the next instalment. Come on bingo! Just found out about the pre-read. I think I'll start the third book now!