Saga: Volume One by Brian K Vaughn and Fiona Staples

Saga, Volume 1 - Brian K. Vaughan, Fiona Staples

Saga was mentioned a lot in round-ups of the best books of 2016 and I loved the sound of this graphic novel about a young family fighting to save their place in the worlds. It was described as a sexy, subversive read for adults and a wedding between sci-fi and fantasy.

Right from the beginning this seemed pretty bizarre; one of the protagonists has horns so basically looks like a ram. He’s called Marko. Marko and his wife, Alana, are from waring worlds and are being hunted so as to break them apart. The guy who’s orchestrating this hunt has a T.V. for a head (?)  so again, pretty bizarre.

The first scene is of Marko’s wife Alana giving birth to her daughter, Hazel, who narrates some of the events from the future. It’s spliced through with humour which helped me connect with it. It’s such a human story that we can all understand and empathise with, lovers fighting to stay together.

Another thing to mention is the artwork, which I was very impressed with. I loved how detailed it was and the colouring really set it off.

I enjoyed how a sci-fi/fantasy narrative was made so human by the edition of the two protagonists and I liked how it progressed, but it was so strange that I don’t know if I’d necessarily read more. It was definitely very good though and a great book to unwind with