The Untethered Soul by Michael A Singer

The Untethered Soul: The Journey Beyond Yourself - Michael A. Singer

Lately I’ve been thinking about spirituality a lot and have been ramping up my meditation practise. This led me to think about spirituality increasingly, with a specific focus on mindfulness. Mindfulness practise is essentially non-judgemental awareness of the present moment. It’s about accepting what it without trying to resist it in any way or change it and is one way to treat anxiety, which I suffer from. All this rumination on spiritual issues led me to this book. I’m not at all religious and this book offers spiritual guidance without any religious focus. It focuses on how we can successfully go beyond the boundaries of the mind. Here’s part of the blurb:

What would it be like to free yourself from limitations and soar beyond your boundaries? What can you do each day to discover inner peace and serenity? The Untethered Soul—now a #1 New York Times bestseller—offers simple yet profound answers to these questions.

The book is quite short at round 200 pages but packs one hell of a punch. Initially it talks about how we aren’t our thoughts but simply the observer of our thoughts. This was a very powerful realisation for me which taught that we don’t have to identify with our thoughts so heavily, but can detach and observe. A simple observation that had profound ramifications for me.

From this point each chapter goes a step further in dis-identifying from the mind and considers who we really are away from the trappings of our thoughts. Essentially the book offers the notion that our experience can be infinite if we can only let go and offers advise on how to do this.

The tone was conversational and non-judgemental meaning it’s a great book to begin a spiritual practise. It guided the reader in a gentle manner and never felt at all preachy.

I would highly recommend it for anyone beginning on a spiritual path and those that have already taken steps towards it. I’ll be reading it again and again in the future.