Mud Vein by Tarryn Fisher

Mud Vein - Tarryn Fisher

Tarryn Fisher has become one of my favourite authors since I started reading her books a few months ago. I’m going to be so bummed when I’ve read her whole back catalogue.

Mud Vein was written from the POV of Senna Richards, a thirty-three year old novelist. When we meet her she has just woken up on her thirty-third birthday and everything is somehow different. She realises she’s been kidnapped and is being held in a remote house, caged behind an electrical fence. Senna is left to decode the clues to find out why she was taken. If she wants her freedom, she has to take a close look at her past. But, her past has a heartbea and her kidnapper is nowhere to be found. With her survival hanging by a thread, Senna soon realizes this is a game. A dangerous one. Only the truth can set her free.

This is a book that it’s best not to know much about before you go into it, so I’ll not say much

Before I started this I knew that it was dark, but I wasn’t prepared for how dark. The characters, the events, the setting, even the verb choice oozed a sense of claustrophobia and chill. Once we learn the events that led to and preceded Senna being imprisoned, we slip even further into the gloom. Senna was a strong and independent women who had a very concise view of the world. While her character didn’t elicit much sympathy, her circumstances did.

The thing I love about Tarryn Fisher is how hugely symbolic her novels are. There was so much here to think about that it gave me a thoroughly rewarding reading experience.

The reason I’ve taken some points off is that it was so dark it’s hard to say that I actually enjoyed it. I think it would be more accurate to say that I appreciated it for it’s uniqueness and style.There were also a couple of troupes which I think could have been avoided if the author had been a little more creative and it turned a little formulaic towards the end. I did however feel the ending helped to rectify this, although it was unbelievably sad.