F*uk Love by Tarryn Fisher

F*ck Love - Tarryn Fisher,  Madison Seidler

I’d never read anything by Tarryn Fisher and had heard relatively little about her before picking this up, so didn’t know what to expect. Within a few pages I was in awe of her writing style and ability to hook a reader. Not long after this I was lauding her ability to create flawed characters that reach into your heart. I think I just might read her entire back catalogue now.

F*ck Love is based around a strange premise. The book opens with the protagonist, Helena Conway having a dream. During this dream she sees a vision of a life where she's married to her best-friend’s boyfriend, Kit. After this she can’t get the dream out of her head and start’s looking at Kit differently. She even goes so far as to alter her life based on it, which is strange behaviour and the main reason that a lot of people struggled with it. I don’t mind telling you that once, a long time ago, I had a dream about a guy I was going to college with and ended up starting a relationship with him. I don’t consider that I altered my life because of that dream, I think of it more as a catalyst. Either way, I know the power that dreams can have, so I identified with it at the outset. In this circumstance it was a bit like insta-love, though. It took a little while for Helena’s feelings for Kit to fully develop, but not that long. It was a reasonable time before Kit reciprocated Helena’s feelings, so that bit was more believable.

One of the first things that’ll jump out at you if you read this book is the humour. Helena is seriously funny and constantly pokes fun at herself. She calls herself, ‘beige bitch,’ a few times! I’m not someone that laughs out loud at many things, but I did once or twice while I was reading this. Underneath this brash and quirkiness was a girl who was a bit insecure, though.

If you consider things on face value, I suppose it was quite cruel what Helena did by going out of her way to steal her best-friends boyfriend. Recently I’ve become quite well-informed about such things as personality disorders and co-dependency and I could see straight away that Della (Helena’s best-friend) was using Helena to bolster her own fragile ego. I have a certain amount of sympathy for this behaviour because it obviously comes from a place of pain, but it also means that you use people and do some pretty despicable stuff. Does this mean I agree with what Helena did? No, it doesn’t. It does mean I could see the cracks in their friendship and knew that it probably wouldn’t have lasted; it was rife with co-dependency. All this highlights exactly why I loved the book, it was so rich and multi-layered.

After Della and Helena there was Kit who was just a so-so character as far as I was concerned. He tried to do the right thing by Della, but eventually his feelings dictated.

The plot moved at a steady pace and only once during the second third did I feel that the pacing was a bit slow.

The dynamic between the three main characters was what made the book. The dialogue between them was so realistic. Sometimes it’s what isn’t said that has the most impact and that was certainly the case here.