Modern Romance by Aziz Ansari

Modern Romance - Aziz Ansari, Eric Klinenberg

Thanks God I’m finished this book. It felt like I was reading it forever! The thing is, I didn’t actively dislike it, but I wasn’t enamoured with it either. I suppose that’s why it took me about two weeks to read less than 200 pages.

The book, which is about how the technological age has revolutionised dating, was voted the winner of the Goodreads choice awards for non-fiction. It was touted as a hilarious, thoughtful and in-depth exploration of the pleasures and perils of modern romance, told from one of the generations sharpest comedic voices. As soon as I read this, specifically the hilarious bit, I had to read it. I YouTubed Aziz Ansari just to be sure and thought his stand-up was pretty good, so I was sold. In reality though, I didn’t find the book that funny. The humour there was felt forced and didn’t have the ease which his stand-up does. Even though the narrative wasn’t as funny as I’d hoped, it was nice and light and flowed well.

The book chronicled how finding a match has changed from the 1950’s to the present. Essentially what was highlighted is how complex it can now be to find someone, what with the addition of smartphones, apps, social media and internet dating sites. While reading I kept thinking, thank God I’m with someone and don’t have to deal with all this crap because it sounds like a mind-screw!

I suppose you’re wondering why I even picked this book up in the first place, seeing as how I’m already in a relationship and have been for over 10 years. Really, I was just curious. I’ve always been interested in how technology has impacted our lives and relationships and this book definitely gave me the insight I needed and confirmed that it’s not just me that gets panicked when I don’t get an instantaneous reply to a text, it’s a large majority of us. We now live in a fast-paced world and want immediate results. So while I wish this book had been funnier, it did provide me with an insight I wouldn’t otherwise have had.

If you’re interested in how the internet impacts relationships and you want to know some of the etiquette surrounding online-dating, this book is definitely for you. I just hope it won’t take you as long to get through as it did me.