Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince by J.K. Rowling

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince - J.K. Rowling, Mary GrandPré

It’s been a while since I put up a review because, unfortunately, reading has had to take a back seat lately as I’ve had a few other things going on. Plus, as this was the penultimate book in the series, I was hesitant to finish it because moving onto the final instalment would mean admitting to myself that it was nearly over. Am I a hopelessly attached to Harry? Eh, probably!

This one starts with the Minister of Magic (the head of the wizarding world) having a chat with the Prime Minster. He informs the Prime Minister that the wizarding community is at war with the evil Lord Voldemort. From there on we learn of an inside plot that includes some of the chief characters, and in chapter three we catch up with Harry, who is now being referred to as ‘The Chosen One,’ because of the events that took place at the end of the last book. He is determined to help stop Lord Voldemort and throughout the rest of the book we see how he contributes towards this.

This was possibly my favourite book in the series, but to be honest, I’ve said that about nearly every one! This book had a darker feel for me and I really liked the edition of an inside plot,

which included Snape and Malfoy

(show spoiler)

, and although I resisted my urge to tear through the pages, it got me seriously intrigued in a way I hadn’t felt before during this series.

Although it didn’t feel as if there was a huge amount going on in this book until the latter stages, there was so much bubbling beneath the surface. Things weren’t centred on plot so much as character, which made it feel more adult. I think that sophistication is why I loved it so much and although the end was very sad, I think it’ll remain my favourite.

I’m now onto the seventh and final book in the series and can’t wait to find out how it all ends up. I’m not going to read this one slowly either! I want to know what happens too much.