Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J.K. Rowling

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire - J.K. Rowling, Mary GrandPré

This was the fourth consecutive book I’ve read featuring the young wizard Harry Potter and his friends.

This one starts off slightly differently with an exchange between two formidable characters. This exchange signals consequences for Harry that will become clear when he returns to Hogwarts school of witchcraft and wizardry.

Soon after this exchange we join Harry when he’s spending his summer holidays with the Dursleys, who display their usual antipathy towards him. As I’ve said before, I always feel really sorry for Harry when he’s staying with the Dursleys! I hate it that he’s stuck there, but it never lasts too long, thankfully. It’s a mark of how powerful Harry is as a character that I care about him as much as I do. Anyway, soon enough he’s whisked off by his best friend Ron’s family to attend the quidditch world cup. This event was a great addition to the book and it was a lot of fun to read about.

When Harry returns to Hogwart’s to complete his fourth year of studies, he learns that quidditch has been cancelled for the year because there’ll be a competition between the various wizarding schools to crown the best witch or wizard. I was a bit miffed at this because I really enjoy the segments where quidditch is played, but the prior part concerning the quidditch world cup helped to abate this. Harry is unfortunately too young to compete in the new contest, but a dark force has other ideas and sets into motion a series of dangerous events for Harry to negotiate.

This book was quite a bit longer than the proceeding books, but it didn’t feel that way. The characters have all grown and have a depth that is rarely as prolific. The plot here was excellent and probably my favourite. It felt a more intricate (the plot) than the previous books and built well upon the themes set out in the first three. The first one will always be a bit special to me though because it’s where we meet the characters for the first time.

So much fun to read with a great level of character and subtle wit, I would highly recommend these books. I’m just getting started on number five…of course!