Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban by J.K. Rowling

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban  - J.K. Rowling

At the risk of making everyone sick by continuing my Harry Potter love-fest, I’ll try and keep this one as brief as I can. Anyway, I’m sure it’s pretty much obvious by now that I love this series.

The third book in the series, this one see’s Harry turn 13 when he is again spending his summer holiday with his only surviving family, the Dursleys. We learn early on that a prisoner has escaped from Azkaban prison, which houses witches and wizards turned rouge.

Soon enough Harry is back at Hogwarts School for witches and wizards where he enters his third year, the threat of the escaped prisoner laying at the periphery of everyone’s mind. Things soon become more complex for Harry as he’s drawn deeper into the mystery of the missing prisoner and we learn of a connection between the two.

This book seemed to launch into the plot a little bit quicker than the previous two books, but since I value character development more highly in a book, this wasn’t a huge deal for me. At this point though, I think it’s assumed that the reader knows Harry pretty well by now anyway, so most will see this as a positive. I love Hogwarts and hate Harry’s mistreatment at the hands of the Dursleys, so was really glad that the plot moved there so soon.

As I now know is standard for this series, there was the edition of a couple of new characters, one being a new teacher at Hogwarts, Remus Lupin, who really helped to further the plot. Also, the aforementioned escaped prisoner, Sirius Black, made a worthy edition to the latter stages of the book. Hermione’s new cat, Crookshanks, was also great and being the cat-lover that I am, I was really happy that he played more of a role towards the end of the book.

In a very slight way I liked this less than the other books. I think this was because

Sirius Black, being Harry’s Godfather, offered to take him in over the summer. Therefore, he wouldn’t have had to return to the Dursleys. At this point I was punching my fist in the air! This didn’t end up happening though and I was left feeling a bit miffed.

(show spoiler)

In no way did this stop me wanting to move straight onto the fourth though, which I’ve done already!